SCG Legal is a seamless global network of over 145 of the profession’s preeminent independent law firms with more than 11,500 attorneys located in nearly 450 offices around the world. By uniting their skills, expertise and influence, our member firms help leading and growing companies in every industry navigate a complex and ever-changing legal landscape. With local and regional experts across the globe, our independent member firms capitalize on the strength and effectiveness of our network to help their clients solve today’s toughest business challenges.
SCG Legal provides an effective and trusted resource for identifying local counsel worldwide. From standard business transactions to the most complex business plans, locally or around the world,SCG Legal connects companies to:
- Expert knowledge of local, state, national and international regulatory agencies
- Sophisticated transactional experience for public and private M&A transactions, public and private financing and corporate and securities law matters
- Time-tested complex litigation experience, including class actions, derivative actions and investors’ rights, environmental litigation and intellectual property litigation
- “On-the-ground” representation in multijurisdictional litigation, providing knowledge of current local conditions and practices
- Experienced ADR mediators, arbitrators and advocates, with specialized knowledge in a variety of industries
SCG Legal member firms work with new and emerging companies around the world to secure tax incentives, comply with zoning rules, obtain permits and overcome regulatory hurdles. Established and expanding companies choose SCG Legal member firms to help them structure transactions efficiently and cost-effectively; establish financing; set up new divisions; form strategic alliances; merge with and acquire companies; manage labor and employment issues; and protect intellectual property.
Membership is strictly by invitation. Firms are invited to join only after demonstrating the highest quality service, industry leadership and the clear value their membership would bring to the network. Candidacy is informed by recommendations from members, clients and colleagues; professional memberships, writing and teaching experience; and community service, honors and rankings.
Member firm attorneys can:
- Obtain legal advice from multiple jurisdictions quickly
- Coordinate regional legal services effectively
- Reach decision makers in every capital city in the United States and capital cities and major business centers around the world
- Organize a multijurisdictional legal team
- Access local experience and connections on a global level
In 1989, 17 former state governors and their law firms founded SCG Legal. These former governors included members of both major political parties in the United States. SCG Legal remains unaffiliated with any one political organization. Today, many of these governors remain actively involved in the SCG Legal, while others have returned to public service. SCG Legal's Advisory Board of Former Governors includes:
- Richard H. Bryan, Governor of Nevada, Lionel Sawyer & Collins
- Brendan T. Byrne, Governor of New Jersey, Carella, Byrne, Cecchi, Olstein, Brody & Agnello, P.C.
- Kenneth M. Curtis, Governor of Maine, Curtis Thaxter Stevens Broder & Micoleau LLC
- Pierre Dupont, Governor of Delaware, Richards, Layton & Finger, P.A.
- Anthony S. Earl, Governor of Wisconsin, Quarles & Brady LLP
- Richard W. Riley, Governor of South Carolina, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Carl E. Sanders, Governor of Georgia, Troutman Sanders LLP
- John D. Spellman, Governor of Washington, Carney Badley Spellman, P.S.
- Charles Thone, Governor of Nebraska, Erickson | Sederstrom, P.C., LLO
- William F. Winter, Governor of Mississippi, Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, P.A.
SCG Legal also recognizes with appreciation several deceased former governors who were active in founding the SCG Legal:
- Edgar J. Herschler, Governor of Wyoming, Former Partner, Freudenthal & Bonds, P.C.
- Scott M. Matheson, Governor of Utah, Former Partner, Parsons Behle & Latimer
- Frank Grant Sawyer, Governor of Nevada, Former Partner, Lionel, Sawyer & Collins
Staff and Governance
The Chief Executive Officer, David Poisson is responsible for the day-to-day operations of SCG Legal. For more information about SCG Legal membership, please contact David Poisson.
1717 Pennsylvania Ave, NW / Suite 1200 / Washington, DC 20006 / (202) 659-6601